Objective of the position:
National Content and Research Assistant contributes to research and content development for Open Development Myanmar (ODMm) site. The role is to provide research and data support to the Content and Research Officer who manages the ODMm platform.
The role is expected to involve approximately 20 hours per week to perform the following tasks:
Data and data contributions:
- Research and find data and information that is suitable for content development around the ODM taxonomy structure.
- Upload and translate datasets in ODM Datahub (CKAN).
- Assist in coordination and training of local partners as well as promoting the expansion of the data contributor network.
Research and editorial content support:
- Support the editorial research and content development for the OD Myanmar site. This will include research and writing support to the Content Officer.
- Manage translation of all content pages (English – Burmese).
- Monthly review and update of content on OD Myanmar to ensure that data, statistics and content is relevant and up-to-date on all pages, dashboards and data visuals.
- Assist with other additional research and other tasks as needed.
Localisation, social media etc:
- Maintain and continue to localize the platform into Burmese where necessary and coordinate localization with national partners in Transifex when necessary.
- Assist in coordination of social media campaigns for ODM and OD Myanmar.
Based upon time frame of the role the following are examples of daily tasks:
- Relevant number of resources and datasets cleaned, translated and uploaded into the CKAN data hub
- Transifex translations updated and maintained
- Assist in research to ensure at least 2 topic pages published on ODMm
- Frequently update social media channels
- Other additional research and other tasks as needed.
Knowledge and Skills:
The candidate should be familiar with issues affecting SE Asia and in particular the Mekong region. They should have a strong interest in development and environmental sustainability with in depth understanding of the economic, social and political context of Myanmar and the Lower Mekong Basin and the trans boundary issues within the region. Additionally the candidate should possess the following skills and qualifications:
- Research skills to be able to find support the development of content pieces for the platform.
- Proven writing skills to be able to produce stories or content that are well balanced, evidence based and without bias or agenda.
- Time management and organizational skills are essential to ensure deliverable of research and data entry is completed in a timely manner.
- Be able to read and write English and Burmese fluently.
- Good computer skills and knowledge of web user interfaces such as WordPress would be useful.
- Ability to work within a virtual team environment and from home.
- Understanding of open licensing and open standards an advantage.
- Bachelor in political or social science, Library science, Information Library, Data Science other relevant area of study.
- Masters or higher level qualifications are desirable.
- Previous work experience that relates to the Open Development Myanmar agenda and goals.
Terms of the contract:
The position is for a short-term contract posting with on the job training and support to commence immediately. Within the first 1 month of the posting a performance review will be conducted and additional responsibilities and tasks may be asked should the candidate perform well. EWMI-ODI would like to invest in the candidate to build their skills and ability to contribute to the OD Mekong and OD Myanmar site over the longer term. This is contingent upon funding.
Work environment: This is a remote position with flexible hours, depending upon tasks and timeframes set. Please note that due to COVID-19 restrictions everyone will be required to adhere to national level policies of social distancing.
All interested candidates should submit a motivation letter outlining why they would qualify for this posting along with a recent CV, in English, listing two referees to Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted to provide additional supporting documentation and samples of writing. If successful candidates will be invited for an online interview.
EWMI is an equal opportunity employer complying with equal opportunity laws, guidelines, and policies to ensure that employment practices and contracting arrangements give equal opportunity without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, age, or disability. Minorities, women, and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
Applications close September 28th, 2020